Friday, July 4, 2008

my opinion on Thank You Cards...


I am getting married in 2 months and 1 day!! I am so excited I can barely contain myself :) My best friends and our Moms threw me the nicest Bridal Shower 2 weeks ago - it was straight out of a page from Martha Stewart Weddings - they really thought of every little detail - it was beyond perfect and more than anything, it was because of the people there, you could feel all the love and support - no bride to be could ask for anymore!

So this leads me to my first "unsolicited advice" post - about Thank You cards. I feel strongly that you should never delay sending out thank you cards. When people go out of their way for you by traveling to be with you, buying you a gift, donating their time to plan an event for YOU, show some gratitude. Try to send out thank you cards within 2 weeks of any event (unless you are still traveling i.e. Honeymoon or there is a real emergency). A thank you card is the very least you can do to let the people who support and care about you know that they are appreciated and you are grateful for them and the relationship in your life.

I have heard a lot of brides say things like "I am just so busy right now." "It's so overwhelming to write them all out." "I am dreading writing my thank yous blah blah blah." "Etiquette says I have 6 months." (who cares what etiquette says - 6 months to write a thank you card is ridiculous - that really makes it obvious that you consider it a chore!)

This really irks me - it is not only completely self-centered, but to me, makes a clear statement on your priorities by saying that thanking someone for doing something for YOU is not a freaking priority - rude, rude, rude!

For me, I was looking forward to writing individual thank you cards to each person who took time to show me support, love, friendship and generosity - I sent them immediately upon receiving my shower gifts (if the gift came before the shower) and within a week of the shower. I hope that all of my friends and family know how special they are to me - actions always speak louder than words.

*and for all the lazy thank you writers out there - it only took me 1.5 hours to write out close to 40 individual thank you's*