Friday, March 7, 2008

Ouidad & Chroma - Haircuts in 2 cities!

I have really long, wavy-curly hair and am kind of freak about where and who I let cut it. I like having shiny, healthy hair that looks like I spent a lot of time on it but really I just need a style that I can shower and just go with a little bit of product. The only time I blow-dry my hair is when I (I mean other people LOL) straighten it or if I go somewhere to get it styled - I am a lazy hair person but very picky and want perfection - go figure!

I go to Ouidad in Manhattan, they specialize in curly hair and Ouidad, the owner, has been featured in hundreds of magazines and works with a lot of celebrities. I go to "Vincent" - he is awesome! They have a special patented cutting technique (it is not texturizing) where they actually cut into the hair so your curly hair lies better. I have been going there for over 8 years and after my first 3 haircuts, my hair grew in in such a way that I could wear it all one length - a difficulty for anyone with curls (unless you are OK with a weird angle on the back and some serious pouffeness). It is not cheap and a hike if you don't live in NYC and they are always booked so you definitely need to make appointments in advance but worth it!!!

Since I don't live in NYC anymore and I am now a Philly Girl - the dilemma I have is - where to go in Philly? I just started putting color glosses on my hair and want to do that again before my wedding in September, I like to get my hair blown-out on occasion and I think I should have an "in-between" place for trims because it is hard to justify the huge NYC haircut trip and expense for just a trim. So, I found this place, Chroma, which is in Old City and super affordable. I made an appointment on a whim and went yesterday to get a trim and a blow-out and I was really impressed! The place is so cute, the staff is so nice and they even have a resident Chihuahua, who is a sweetheart. I went to Susan Gambone and she was awesome - she used to work at OGGI. I made an appointment to go back and get some color in May and August and plan to alternate hair styling cuts with Vincent in NYC and trims and everything else here in Philly with Susan. PS...If you go to Chroma, say I referred you!